Block Island Updates (Chronological Order)

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:15:13 -0400
To: block2002:;
From: Nelson Weiderman
Subject: Block Island Race Week Update #1
Cc: Ted Zuse

Block Island Entrants (& friends):

We have less than two months to go and we still have 34 entrants
on my preliminary scratch sheet (29 confirmed, two expected, three
leaning).  Let me know of any additions or deletions.

Of those 34, we have 24 returnees with 55 combined Block Island
Race Weeks in J/105s.  How do I know that?  Well I posted all the
previous results on the Block Island page and I counted.  There
is also a new column on the preliminary scratch sheet showing the
number of times at Block and the best finish.

Also among those 24 returnees we have two previous winners (Jim
Doane in 2001 and Brian Tedeschi in 1997).  We also have two
owners who have sailed them all (Hugh McLean and Nelson Weiderman).

I can't tell from the official site how many of you are registered,
but if you have not done so, now would be a good time to send in
your registration.  Check http://j105.org/block2002/ for updates
on J/105 status.

As always, if there are any questions, just e-mail me.

Nelson

Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:50:34 -0400
To: block2002:;
From: Nelson Weiderman
Subject: Block Island Race Week Update #2 -- Please Respond

Block Island Entrants (& friends):

There are still 32 boats on my Block Island preliminary scratch sheet, with four
being "soft" (ODYSSEY, NORDIC EXPRESS, CLOUD 9, IT WASN'T ME).  If you have
confirmed, please let me know.  If you know anyone that's coming who is not on the
list, please let me know.  If you've dropped out, please let me know.

The birw.net website is developing awfully slowly, but I am assured by Ted Zuse,
the chief ringleader, that everything is perking along.  He insists that we will have our
choice of whether we have a "Round the Island Race" or do buoy racing while the
rest of the classes go around.  So (VERY IMPORTANT), please respond to me with
your preference.  Just say "ROUND", "BUOYS", or "DON'T CARE" and I will pass the
results of our straw poll on to the organizers.  Just remember that they are looking
to give us 12 races (if the conditions are perfect, which they rarely are) and "going
around" probably cuts out two races.

We still have not finalized the measurement protocols, but we want this to be a
low-hassle regatta (and we don't have a lot of measurers), so we'll probably do a
weigh in and measure a small number of randomly selected boats, as was done
last year.  Stay tuned.

But here are some reminders (from the class rules):

o  Weight limit is 1045.
o  One set of sails for the entire event.
o  Floatlines should be applied and weight added if necessary.
o  Sail registration forms should be on file with the National Secretary (me) for
all 2001 and 2002 sails.

Finally, we have Buddy Rego and Bill Riker from Bermuda chartering Vic Bell's
VALE.  They're staying close to Jim Sorensen's place across from the Oar.  Let's
make them feel as welcome as they made me feel in Bermuda.

Cheers,
Nelson

Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 14:00:58 -0400
To: block2002:;
From: Nelson Weiderman
Subject: Block Island Race Week Update #3

Block Island Entrants & friends,

There have been no changes to the preliminary scratch sheet.  If
you have not yet registered, now would be a good time to do so.

Billy Baldwin of CYAN, sends this along:
Cyan's tactician, who holds a 2 ton captains license and plenty
of delivery experience, will be taking some time off from working
tugs in NY harbor the week previous to Block to make deliveries
for inerested parties.  Please contact: Sue Reilly
(Sue@reillytele.com).

The results of the Straw poll were 10 ROUND, 7 BUOYS, and 3 DON'T
CARE. One of the DCs was really a vote to cancel the day's race
and party. So unless there is a flurry of additional votes we
will do the traditional thing.  (Chris Day, crew on FLAME,
actually had the temerity to vote the opposite way from his
Captain -- but he will have a smile on his face even though his
vote did not count.)

John Crosby of Elite Divers will be at Block Island to clean
bottoms.  I highly recommend him.  Since you cannot clean your
bottoms in the harbor, you must motor out and pick up one of his
moorings outside the harbor. He's usually there after the day's
racing and starting at 6 a.m. in the mornings.  His competition
is also named "John" so make sure you know which diver you are
getting.

As we did last year, we will be measuring three boats on Sunday
(by a lottery system) and the top three boats after the first day
of competition. A lottery number and system will be defined the
week before the event.  We'll also have web-based sail and
crew declarations that will be ready next week.

Cheers,
Nelson

PS:  I'm adding all these UPDATES to the BIRW web page:
http://j105.org/BIRW2002/

Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:06:15 -0400
To: block2002:;
From: Nelson Weiderman
Subject: Block Island Update #4

Block Island Entrants and Friends:

The entry list is finally up at birw.net.  Comparing it with
mine, there are a couple of entries that I can't identify.  Anyone know
an Olson, a Woodhouse, or MORNING GLORY?

Those on my list who do not appear on the entry list are
MASQUERADE, TERN, ODYSSEY, LAST TANGO, RIGADOON, M GO BLUE, and
SAPHINA.  So we're still counting about 30 boats.  If you have
not registered, go to birw.net and do so now.  If you are a
drop out, let me know.

Weigh-in for the J/105 Class will be held 9 a.m. on Sunday and
Monday at a place to be determined.  I'm also looking for people
willing to help with weigh-ins and to measuring a few boats.

We are planning a dinner party on Monday after racing to be
co-sponsored by Fleets #14, Fleet #6, and JBoats.  Time and place
TBD at present, but keep that date open.  If you would like to
volunteer for duty or make some contribution, please let me know.
We have openings for buyers, chefs, bartenders, organizers,
cleanup, etc.

The on-line declaration forms are ready.  There is one for your
sails and one for your crew.  To fill them in, go to
http://j105.org/BIRW2002/ and follow the links.  The way it works
is that after you submit the form, one copy goes to me and one to
you.  Keep yours and bring it to Block Island in case there are any
questions.

-- Nelson

------------------------------

Here's a note from someone looking for a ride:

"I did not see any opportunity to sign up for crew for this race.
I have been a US Keelboat instructor previously for the largest
J-boat broker in the midwest and I have crewed in many races on
J-80's, J105's, J-24's, J120's. I am located in New England and
could drive down for the races for practice and actual crewing.
Please forward to the appropriate boatowner or captain. I am
listed on the US Sailing racing crew as a Group I category,and I
am 6'1" tall and weigh 220 Lbs."

Thank You,

David Rieke
drieke@atriummed.com
603-880-1433 Ext. 5211

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:04:30 -0400
To: block2002:;
From: Nelson Weiderman
Subject: Block Island Race Week Update #5

Block Island Entrants and Friends:

They just updated the scratch sheet on birw.net.  The only ones
on my list who do not appear on the entry list are ODYSSEY and
SAPHINA.  It appears that MASQUERADE with be a late scratch, so
I'm now counting 29 boats.  If you have not registered, go to
birw.net and do so now.  You have until June 12 to register
without a late fee.  The sailing instructions are posted now as
well.

The dinner party will be at Joerg's rental house on Pilot Hill
Road at 6 p.m. on Monday.  We'll have detailed direction later.
Please let me know if you plan to attend. On the volunteer front,
I have ANDIAMO and TRUE NORTH willing to pitch in, but we need
more crews to help out.  Did I mention that volunteers catch
extra breaks out on the race course? We still have openings for
buyers, chefs, bartenders, organizers, cleanup, etc.

The on-line declaration forms are are still waiting for most of
you.  There is one for your sails and one for your crew.  To fill
them in, go to http://j105.org/BIRW2002/ and follow the links.
The way it works is that after you submit the form, one copy goes
to me and one to you.  Keep yours and bring it to Block Island in
case there are any questions.

Here are some of the boats to watch:

PRETTY SKETCHY -- Jim Doane brings back his championship crew for
the third year.  Two years ago he won it all in the chartered
WONDER WAGON. Last year he placed second on his own FLAME.  This
year he has chartered another local boat.  Jim hails from Naples,
Florida.

KINCSEM -- Joerg Esdorn is also back for his third year, having a
sixth and fourth to his credit.  This year KINCSEM has exchanged
her wheel for a tiller and the Team is fresh off a victory in the
AYC Spring Series. Joerg sails out of Rye, NY.

WET PAINT -- Contractor Don Priestly has been chasing the dream
since 1998. He has new Ullmans and know his way around the
Island.  He started the local season strong with a 2nd at the
Newport Gold.  Don is from Mashpee, MA.

DRAGONFLY -- Skip Young showed excellent speed last year in a
boat previously owned by Rod Johnstone (Hull #333).  Skip is from
Guilford, CT.

WET LEOPARD -- The politically correct Jim Sorensen won the Fleet
#14 Series Championship in 2001 and bested a top field in the
Narragansett Bay Championship that year.  He has been laying back
this year, but he'll be ready to roll for BIRW.  He owns Sag
Harbor, NY.

Some of the newcomers to watch will be SAPHINA, VALE, COOL KIS,
and SCARAMOUCHE.

-- Nelson

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:22:43 -0400
To: block2002:;
From: Nelson Weiderman
Subject: Block Island 2002 Update #6

Block Island Entrants and Friends:

I still have not heard from SAPHINA, so I'm assuming they are a
scratch.  That leaves us with 27.  It looks from the official
scratch sheet that we will be the only one-design class and that
there will be about 50 PHRF and cruising class entries.  At least
the J/105 class held up their end of the bargain!

I know nobody intends to be in the bottom half of the fleet, but
... if you are, Jim Johnstone will be out in his inflatable
observing some of the more obvious things you might be doing
wrong during racing. He'll be monitoring Channel 69 if you want
to ring him up for some advice between races on things like jib
lead position, mainsheet tension, crew placement, spinnaker trim,
etc.  Take advantage.

JimJ will be joining us at our dinner on Monday night.  Also
joining us will be photographer extraordinaire Sue Bodycomb of
YachtShots with a digital slide show with J/105 racing from Key
West, San Diego NOOD, Texoma Lakefest and the day's racing at
Block Island.  Exact directions to Jeorg's house will follow and
will be available on Monday from Nelson or Joerg.

Crew, spouses, and significants are invited to the dinner.  We
expect to see about six per boat.  If you are significantly more
or if your crew will not be able to attend, please let me know
ASAP.

Thanks to the following party volunteers.  Be kind to them on the
racecourse:
  TRUE NORTH - Brigger (coordinator of volunteers)
  ANDIAMO - Fagas/Stauch
  CYAN - Baldwin
  SCARAMOUCHE - Harman
  VALE - Riker/Rego
  KINCSEM - Esdorn
  WET PAINT - Priestly

There has been some concern about the float lines.  Fleet #14 has
not had its measurer certify all boats and I'm not sure that
Fleet #6 has either.  So the signature of the measurer is not of
critical importance. What we would like to see is all boats with
the lines applied and the declaration (dated 2/15/02) filled out
and signed by the owner after the owner has gone through the
ballasting procedures.  We have three "pre-scrimp" boats (hull
numbers below #155) for which this is particularly important.

Weigh in.  Let's go with 9-9:30 a.m. and 5-5:30 p.m. on Sunday
and late weigh in on Monday at 8:30 a.m.  Place still to be
determined.  We could use a volunteer to help with this!

The Regatta Measurers would like to do a limited number of
inspections, so we take a look at six boats (randomly selected)
on Sunday and the top three finishers after racing on Monday.
Boats with minor and inadvertant discrepancies will be requested
to come into compliance.

Here's how you can finally win the lottery:
(http://www.oso.com/shared/money/lottery/rhodeisland.html)

9-11 a.m. Sunday:  Inspection of the three boats whose lottery
digit below matches the first digit of the Thursday (6/13) daily
RI lottery drawing.  Please have a representative at the weigh-in
site at 9 a.m. to tell us where you boat is located.

5 p.m. Sunday:  Measurement of the spinnakers from the three
boats below whose number matches the next unique digit of the
Thursday RI lottery drawing.

Immediately after racing Monday:  Inspection and spinnaker
measurement of the top three finishers.

When you weigh in on Sunday, please write your local telephone
number and boat location on crew decl. form so we can find you
if we need to. The measurers for the regatta are Joerg Esdorn,
Jeff Sammis, and possibly Matt Berger, Jeff Johnstone, or John
Johnstone.

Lottery Digit
| Crew Declaration  (http://j105.org/fleet14/)
| | Sail Declaration  (http://j105.org/fleet14/)
| | | Floatline Installed and Boat Floated to Lines (part of Sail Decl)
| | | |
v v v v

0 N N N        Bobbi Coffey, ELMO, #25, Fleet #6
1 N N N        Hugh/Ken McLean, ALL RIGHT, #56, Fleet #14
2 N N N        John/Bobbi Coffey, TERN, #73, Fleet #6
3 N N N        Paul/Jayme Strauch/Fagas, ANDIAMO, #176, Fleet #6
4 N N N        Ken Colburn, WITCH, #200, Fleet #23
5 N N N        Don McClusky, KETCHUPLESS, #211, Fleet #14
6 N N N        John Peterson, LAST TANGO, #212, Fleet #6
7 N N N        Billy Baldwin, CYAN, #239, Fleet #6
8 Y N N        Bill/Buddy Riker/Rego, VALE, 247#, Fleet #21
9 N N N        Linc Mossup, THE CAT CAME BACK, #256, Fleet #14
0 Y Y Y        Nelson Weiderman, KIMA, #300, Fleet #14
1 N N N        Jim Sorensen, WET LEOPARD, #307, Fleet #14
2 Y Y Y        Joerg Esdorn, KINCSEM, #324, Fleet #6
3 N N N        Skip Young, DRAGON FLY, #333, Fleet #14
4 Y N N        Don Priestly, WET PAINT, #334, Fleet #14
5 N N N        Bill Riggs, RIGADOON, #350, Fleet #14
6 N N N        Deborah/Larry Whitehead/Hennessey, WOODY, #353, Fleet #14
7 N N N        Bill/Steve Purdy, 40 WHACKS, #354, Fleet #14
8 N N N        Carl Olsson, MORNING GLORY, #389, Fleet #6
9 Y N N        Robert Salk, PICANTE, #413, Fleet #14
0 N Y Y        Bob/Ed Hooper/Feeley, MGOBLUE, #417, Fleet #2
1 Y N N        Jerry/Trudie Ficks, ANDIAMO, #458, Fleet #14
2 Y Y Y        Jim Grover, PUGILIST, #460, Fleet #14
3 N N N        Andy/Pam Gillis/Morris, JATO, #461, Fleet #14
4 Y Y Y        Kent Harman, SCARAMOUCHE, #462, Fleet #14
5 N N N        Jim Brigger, TRUE NORTH, #489, Fleet #6
6 N N N        Jim Doane, PRETTY SKETCHY, #485, Fleet #19

Please read your Sailing Instructions.  Unlike previous years, the
"harbor start" is at 8:30 and the first gun is at 10:30 a.m., 30
minutes earlier than usual.

Cheers,
Nelson

-------------------------------------

Here are two crew possibilities for later in the week if you have
any crew dropping out.

From: "Alexis Steiner"
Subject: Need Crew SF Fleet #1 members available
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:07:28 -0700

Hi Nelson,

My name is Alexis Steiner & my dad is Roy, we are members of
Fleet # 1 and my dad's boat is Aquavit. We are looking for a ride
in the Block Island Regatta on Wed. through Fri. Bruce Stone from
our fleet is trying to get us on a boat for those days. If you
know of anyone who needs crew, let us know. Alexis 130+/- #s all
positions on J105 Jr.Sailor STFYC skipper to #1 position in
Midwinter's etc.... Roy (dad)  230 +/- #s all positions on J105,
Crewed SF Master Regatta, Key West Race Week on Cyan in 2000
etc....

Good winds,
Alexis & Roy

Hi Nelson,
    My dad wanted me to e-mail you with the phone numbers of the
    hotels that we are staying at in NY and then later in R.I.
    From the 11th to the 14th we will be at the Helmsley Windsor
    and the # there is (212) 265-2100.   Then from the 15th to
    the 21st we will be at the Radisson Hotel in Providence.  The
    number there is (401) 272-5577.  This may be helpful if you
    need to get a hold of us after Monday.  Thanks again for your
    help.
~Alexis~

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:43:45 -0400
To: block2002:;
From: Nelson Weiderman <nhw@sei.cmu.edu>
Subject: Block Island 2002 Update #6 (errata and addenda) 1. Bobbi Coffey WILL NOT be sailing on two boats. Instead of co-skippering with
John Coffey (no relation) as she did last year, she will have her own boat this year.
2. We are inviting all crews to bring desert to share for the dinner party on
Monday. If each crew brings enough for their crew, we should have plenty.
3. On Wednesday there will be the traditional cocktail party at Jim Sorensen's
place directly across the road from the Oar. Cross the road and look for the Wet
Lepoard pelt hanging from the deck. It will be at 5:30 p.m. or whenever you can
get there if the racing runs late.
N.

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:18:53 -0400
To: block2002:;
From: Nelson Weiderman
Subject: Block Island 2002 Update #7

Block Island Entrants and Friends:

My list still has 27 boats, but Ted Zuse tells me that there
are a few more entries, whose identity he has been slow to reveal.
Maybe tomorrow when I announce the winners of the lottery.

Here are the directions to Joerg's house.  From Old Harbor where
the old ferry comes in, you go south and take High Street (I think
it's near the movie theater and the statue).  You will pass the
school on your right and then count the fourth driveway on the left.
We will hang a J/105 class flag to mark the spot.  By this time
the road name is Pilot Hill and it comes out near the Southeast
Lighthouse.

Here's the schedule for the week:

The weigh-ins will be in the tent next to the Oar.  Sunday at
9-9:30 a.m. and 5-5:30 p.m. and Monday 8:30-9:00 a.m.

Sunday: lottery winner inspections 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Monday after racing: Inspection of top three boats.

Monday 6:00 p.m. Dinner party at Joerg's house.

Wednesday 5:30 p.m.  Cocktail party at Jim Sorensen's house.

M-F: Racing.  Harbor start 8:30, first gun 10:30.

Here's the status of the paperwork (I'm expecting a flurry of
returns) Go to http://www.j105.org/BIRW2002/ to fill out the
declarations on-line.

Lottery Digit
| Crew Declaration http://www.j105.org/BIRW2002/crewdecl.html
| | Sail Declaration http://www.j105.org/BIRW2002/saildecl.html
| | | Floatline Installed and Boat Floated to Lines (part of Sail Decl)
| | | |
v v v v

0 N N N        Bobbi Coffey, ELMO, #25, Fleet #6
1 Y Y Y        Hugh/Ken McLean, ALL RIGHT, #56, Fleet #14
2 N N N        John Coffey, TERN, #73, Fleet #6
3 N N N        Paul/Jayme Strauch/Fagas, ANDIAMO, #176, Fleet #6
4 Y Y Y        Ken Colburn, WITCH, #200, Fleet #23
5 N N N        Don McClusky, KETCHUPLESS, #211, Fleet #14
6 N N N        John Peterson, LAST TANGO, #212, Fleet #6
7 N N N        Billy Baldwin, CYAN, #239, Fleet #6
8 Y N N        Bill/Buddy Riker/Rego, VALE, 247#, Fleet #21
9 N N N        Linc Mossup, THE CAT CAME BACK, #256, Fleet #14
0 Y Y Y        Nelson Weiderman, KIMA, #300, Fleet #14
1 Y Y Y        Jim Sorensen, WET LEOPARD, #307, Fleet #14
2 Y Y Y        Joerg Esdorn, KINCSEM, #324, Fleet #6
3 Y Y N        Skip Young, DRAGON FLY, #333, Fleet #14
4 Y N N        Don Priestly, WET PAINT, #334, Fleet #14
5 N N N        Bill Riggs, RIGADOON, #350, Fleet #14
6 N Y Y        Deborah/Larry Whitehead/Hennessey, WOODY, #353, Fleet #14
7 Y N N        Bill/Steve Purdy, 40 WHACKS, #354, Fleet #14
8 N N N        Carl Olsson, MORNING GLORY, #389, Fleet #6
9 Y N N        Robert Salk, PICANTE, #413, Fleet #14
0 Y Y Y        Bob/Ed Hooper/Feeley, MGOBLUE, #417, Fleet #2
1 Y N N        Jerry/Trudie Ficks, KOOL KIS, #458, Fleet #14
2 Y Y Y        Jim Grover, PUGILIST, #460, Fleet #14
3 Y Y Y        Andy/Pam Gillis/Morris, JATO, #461, Fleet #14
4 Y Y Y        Kent Harman, SCARAMOUCHE, #462, Fleet #14
5 Y Y Y        Jim Brigger, TRUE NORTH, #489, Fleet #6

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:20:15 -0400
To: block2002:;
From: Nelson Weiderman
Subject: Block Island 2002 Update #8

Block Island Entrants and Friends:

Well one of our mystery guests has revealed himself.  It is Andy
Schoettle on LOTUS, #490.  We have 28.

The Thursday Lottery was 1-6-8-1:

The winners of the inspection (9 a.m. Sunday) are:
1   Hugh/Ken McLean, ALL RIGHT, #56, Fleet #14
1   Jim Sorensen, WET LEOPARD, #307, Fleet #14
1   Jerry/Trudie Ficks, KOOL KIS, #458, Fleet #14

The winners of the spinnaker measurements (5 p.m. Sunday) are:
6   John Peterson, LAST TANGO, #212, Fleet #6
6   Deborah/Larry Whitehead/Hennessey, WOODY, #353, Fleet #14
6   Jim Doane, PRETTY SKETCHY, #485, Fleet #19

At the weigh-ins I will have copies of my specially created current charts
for the week from Eldridge.  One per boat.  Autographed by request.

If you need me, starting Saturday I can be reached at 466-3102 at my
cottage or 401-965-8634 on my cell.

Weather's coming.  Prepare accordingly.

Good luck everybody,
Nelson

Lottery Digit
| Crew Declaration  (http://j105.org/fleet14/)
| | Sail Declaration  (http://j105.org/fleet14/)
| | | Floatline Installed and Boat Floated to Lines (part of Sail Decl)
| | | |
v v v v

0 N N N        Bobbi Coffey, ELMO, #25, Fleet #6
1 Y Y Y        Hugh/Ken McLean, ALL RIGHT, #56, Fleet #14
2 N N N        John Coffey, TERN, #73, Fleet #6
3 Y Y Y        Paul/Jayme Strauch/Fagas, ANDIAMO, #176, Fleet #6
4 Y Y Y        Ken Colburn, WITCH, #200, Fleet #23
5 N N N        Don McClusky, KETCHUPLESS, #211, Fleet #14
6 N N N        John Peterson, LAST TANGO, #212, Fleet #6
7 Y Y Y        Billy Baldwin, CYAN, #239, Fleet #6
8 Y N N        Bill/Buddy Riker/Rego, VALE, 247#, Fleet #21
9 N N N        Linc Mossup, THE CAT CAME BACK, #256, Fleet #14
0 Y Y Y        Nelson Weiderman, KIMA, #300, Fleet #14
1 Y Y Y        Jim Sorensen, WET LEOPARD, #307, Fleet #14
2 Y Y Y        Joerg Esdorn, KINCSEM, #324, Fleet #6
3 Y Y N        Skip Young, DRAGON FLY, #333, Fleet #14
4 Y Y Y        Don Priestly, WET PAINT, #334, Fleet #14
5 Y Y Y        Bill Riggs, RIGADOON, #350, Fleet #14
6 Y Y Y        Deborah/Larry Whitehead/Hennessey, WOODY, #353, Fleet #14
7 Y N N        Bill/Steve Purdy, 40 WHACKS, #354, Fleet #14
8 N N N        Carl Olsson, MORNING GLORY, #389, Fleet #6
9 Y Y Y        Robert Salk, PICANTE, #413, Fleet #14
0 Y Y Y        Bob/Ed Hooper/Feeley, MGOBLUE, #417, Fleet #2
1 Y N N        Jerry/Trudie Ficks, KOOL KIS, #458, Fleet #14
2 Y Y Y        Jim Grover, PUGILIST, #460, Fleet #14
3 Y Y Y        Andy/Pam Gillis/Morris, JATO, #461, Fleet #14
4 Y Y Y        Kent Harman, SCARAMOUCHE, #462, Fleet #14
5 Y Y Y        Jim Brigger, TRUE NORTH, #489, Fleet #6
6 Y N N        Jim Doane, PRETTY SKETCHY, #485, Fleet #19
7 Y Y Y        Andy Schoettle, LOTUS, #490, Fleet #14

Cheers,
Nelson